Monday, February 11, 2008

Guest Blog at Boneville Part One.


So what is this illustration above?
I think this was the cover that Eclipse Comics used to originally solicit Tales of the Beanworld #20 or #21 but somewhere along the line I changed my mind and decided to tell other stories. Then, I think I decided to make the "Why Me?" story issue #22.
I went off to be Executive Director of Image Comics and Eclipse fell apart shortly after the publication of TOTB 21. I don't believe #22 was actually ever solicited. (Does anyone remember?) Anyway, while going through The Beanworld Archives I found a photocopy of the above (including some color notations) and decided to finish it while teaching myself Photoshop last year.
So with my recollections of that time in the comics industry going online at Boneville.com--today seemed like the proper day to share this odd artifact with you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just about swallowed my tongue when i saw this. Too much excitement. Also enjoyed your post at Boneville. Can't wait to read part two.

Anonymous said...

Holy leapin' cats! It's like looking at an artifact from a different world!

Larry Marder said...

Well, in a lot of ways--it IS!

Jim Hanley said...

Tales of the Beanworld @22 was never solicited, Larry. @21 was solicited by Heroes World, Capital, & Diamond in September of 1993.

Larry Marder said...

Thanks, Jim. I really didn't think that it had been. 9/92 was at the tail end of my tenure at Moondog's and I was at Image by that December. If I recall correctly, Eclipse didn't survive as a viable entity much past that winter. Next time I'm in NYC--I really should come by and see you and your Universe. It's been wayyyyyy too long!

Jim Hanley said...

Larry:

It would be great to see you. Just let me know a bit in advance, as I'm not in the store all that often, these days.

I'm also fairly sure that you meant to say that you were at Moondog's until 9/93. 1993, was the year that everything went to Hell, but it was also the high point for the DLG, which you were intimately involved in.

The meeting we had in the Chicago suburbs, fell on Super Bowl weekend in '93. I think it was that summer that you drove me around town to see Larry's and Haley's Comics.

Larry Marder said...

Yes, you are quite correct about the year, Jim. It was 1993. The story of the DLG (Direct Line Group) is a good one. And well worth someone telling one of these days!

Jim Hanley said...

Larry:

I agree about the DLG needing to be documented. You seem like the most logical one to do it, as you were there with Gary, when it started.

Larry Marder said...

I'm going to see Gary in about six weeks at the end of March/beginning of April. I'll mention it to him then. Good idea, Mr. Hanley.