Monday, June 2, 2008

Bo Diddley RIP


Bo Diddley is gone. I've never said much about what the Boom'r Band might sound like. I've always saifd that the Boom'rs sound the way you want them to sound. That's what I told Robert, Indigo, and Erica when they asked about it for the Beanworld mini-animation. That's what the Boom'rs sounded like to them and so, that it was the proper accompaniment for their piece.

But one thing I've always been sure about is this: the rhythm in TOTB #6 (Yeah, yeah! The Clang Twang!) was a real hard driving Bo Diddley beat. His rectangular Gretsch guitar was, after all, often called the "Twang Machine." The first time I saw him rocking on that thing on Shindig! --I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. The man could rock and he had a sense of style that was unmatched. Even his album covers always were always a notch better than any of his contemporaries.
The Boom'r Band sure will miss him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although I've only known the group for a few years now, since I first heard the Asylum Street Spanker's "Monkey Rag," that's how I've imagined the Band to sound.

It's always a sad day when one of the greats passes on. I didn't know much about Bo Diddley's music til later on in life. It was a sad thing to hear that he'd passed on.