I recently came across this curiosity in the Beanworld Archives.
As far as I can reckon, it's the cover that I sent to Eclipse Comics for the solicitation of Tales of the Beanworld #21.
It's a relatively finished piece with all the PMTs in place as if I had intended for this to be the actual art I would color later by hand cutting adhesive screen tone with an X-acto knife on clear acetate overlays. One acetate layer for each color of the four colors of the printing process (black, cyan, magenta, yellow) to be turned into film negatives and then made into plates ready for printing. Having started my career in a film stripping room at a printer, I knew I wasn't particularly skilled at angling screens to prevent moire patterns. But I was knowledgeable enough to compensate for that by always using only one screen pattern over a solid color. Doing so greatly limited my palate but it worked most of the time--excluding the awful pink cover of TOTB #9 which makes me cringe to this day!
Comparing the cover above to the one below, I can see why I redrew it. I simplified the composition by eliminating the other "shards," remembered the "dream pattern" shading I used in earlier issues and changed Proffy's expression to one of more puzzlement.
I get a kick out of discovering these lost pieces.
Hope you do too.