Monday, August 8, 2011

Happy 50th Birthday Fantastic Four!


According to Mark Evanier, today is the 50th anniversary of the first issue of Fantastic Four appearing in the newsstands. And as fas as I'm concerned, if Mark says it's so: it's so.

I thought I'd celebrate the day by drawing the above.

When an earlier version first appeared on the cover of Tales of the Beanworld #19 twenty years ago in 1991, I asked my then-editor at Eclipse Comics, catherine yronwode, if she thought Marvel Comics might object to it being on the cover of my book.

She laughed and said something like "Larry these isn't a soul in Marvel's editorial offices that can even see that it's a parody of the Fantastic Four, let alone object to it!" Which I found out to be true.

I'm pretty sure it isn't true today!

Anyway, regardless of what happened over the last 50 years with Marvel Comics, Stan Lee, and Jack Kirby, good and bad, today is a day to celebrate all of the good things the FF brought into my life through the adventures of Reed, Sue, Johnny & Ben.


No comments: