Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Amazing Advertising Trade Cards!

BibliOddysey is consistently one of my favorite sites to visit. The site advertises itself as a collection of "Books~~Illustrations~~Science~~History~~Visual Materia Obscura~~Eclectic Book art."

I love print. It's in my blood. My maternal grandfather, Larry Post, was a printer and I loved it when I was allowed to got to work with him and visit the printing facility at PhotoPress in Chicago. It was quite a thrill for a little boy.

My dad, Bernie Marder, owned a large commercial silkscreen factory, Windsor Textiles. Dad always came home smelling of ink. I really liked it.

My first real job,in Connecticut from '73 to '76, was at a printing company, Lithographics, Inc. There in addition to the clanks, and hisses and wheezes of printing presses, I grew accustomed to the bangs, thumps and thwackings of bindery equipment.

To this day, I get a real rush looking a specimen of finely printed paper.

The incredible array of printed materials collected at BibliOddysey not only consistently piques my interest but also can keep me entertained for hours on end.

The illustration above is from a terrific gallery of antique advertising trade cards. The late 19th century was a revolutionary time in the history of printing as both color lithography and rotogravure started to radically change the art and commerce of printed goods.

Out of this new technology came great changes in advertising, newspapers, magazines--and eventually the birth of the modern comic strip.

No comments: