Thursday, October 6, 2011

Babies & Beans are things that make you go "Awwww!"




Hi Larry,
It's taken us several weeks to get organized following Comic-con, but my husband and I wanted to send a note to thank you for the wonderful sketch on the onesie you drew at the con!
Attached is a photo of Robin reveling in her inner bean.
Thanks so much!
Lesley Mathieson-Stratton

As I've written about in the past, I love drawing on cotton fabric. One of these days I will post about why that is but I am still looking for the right pictures from my past.

Knowing this, the Mathieson-Stratton family came to my table and asked me if I'd mind taking a crack at little Robin's "onesie."  I was glad to. You can see the result for yorself!

As the photos above and below illustrate: sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words!




















Jenn Manley Lee, creator of Dicebox ,and daughter, Taran Jack, at Stumptown Comics Fest 2011.
This photo was snapped literally within seconds after she took possession of her very own Bean doll--quite literally as big as her head.

It's amazing to me how the younger the human being, the more immediately the child's brain plugs directly into Beanworld--or does the Beanworld zap into the kid's brain?
Does it even matter?
All I know is that it happen.
It happens all the time.
Many, many witnesses to the fact.

And now a shameless plug: By The Lake Fleece Beanworld Action Figures will make excellent Holiday gifts for that special Beanworld fan in your life.
Supplies are limited.

3 comments:

John M. Scrudder said...

Larry, this is no Shameless plug! Meghan, Ben and Abigail are going to die when they get one of these for Christmas! Thanks for posting the link - I've been trying to get a hold of one of these guys forever but I haven't seen you since Chicago Comics in 09'
Cheers!
-John

Hengest said...

Not sure where else to put this, but I thought readers and the author of the Beanworld blog might be interested. If it's not appropriate, my apologies, and I won't post it again. I assume Mr. Marder still moderates these so I won't worry too much about messing up his blog.

I'm kicking around ideas with a colleague for a journal in our field. For reasons to be explained later, the proposed mascot/logo is a combination of a bumblebee and some kind of penguin. I was thinking: I could get (pay) a graphic designer to design a permanent bee-penguin logo, perhaps in the style you see at this link:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/SevPchela.JPG

and we could have a standing contest for readers to draw the bee-penguin. And publish a winner or winners in each issue. Obviously this is inspired by the Beanworld sketch trades and the old DIYB contest, I guess.

Anyway, if this gets posted, and any reader is interested in participating on either end -- the logo itself or the freestyle "contest," I would love to hear about it.

For your information -- the proposed publication (online, most likely) would be academic/literary in nature, not any kind of political beast.

Thank you!

Larry Marder said...

There isn't anyone here but me, Cal. Keep us all informed as your plans unfold.
Larry