Friday, August 29, 2008

Congratulations Sky McCloud!





Congrats to wunderkind Sky McCloud for her recognition as an incredibly skilled public presenter and speaker. I guess it was at Comic-Con 06, right before the McCloud clan set out on their ambitious 50 state tour, that I got my first inkling of her presentation abilities.

I'd missed their panel but later that night, in their hotel room, a very proud Ivy insisted that Sky show me her presentation. Folks, I said it then and I will say it again, I was totally blown away by what followed. I even went home and told Cory (who lives and dies by her presentations in her business) that Sky really had an incredible grasp of the potential lurking inside the PowerPoint software.

At the time, I'd never even attempted to do anything in PP--I had "people" who did that sort of thing. Since then, I've changed careers, left the "people" behind and taught myself PP. The more I work in it, the more I appreciate that original presentation of Sky's.

Good going!



Today would have been Jack Kirby's 91st birthday.


The blogs are filled with all sorts of Kirby artwork that inspired and thrilled all the various blogger authors. I loved and was influenced by Jack's artwork as anyone else, but I am so under the gun with so many looming deadlines, that I decided to just get up out of my seat, turn around and put up the first piece of Kirby-ness that I could get my hands on. Here it is! Happy birthday Jack wherever your spirit may be soaring today!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Kirby entry, the way you approached it, reminded me of something. At the time he passed away (1994?) I was working in a comics store. A customer, making small talk, said,"I guess this means all the Kirby stuff will go up in price now?" It took me a couple beats to think about it and I replied, "y'know, I don't think that's economically possible". As I explained to him, JK was more prolific than Picasso- the volume of original work he's done would fill a warehouse on its own, let alone the fact their they're perpetually favorite reprint material. If cost is determined by supply and demand, consider that the demand has barely fluctuated in thirty years and you'd be hard put to take even a fraction of the supply oout of circulation.
The fact that anyone working in comics could, like you've done, spit in any direction and hit random Kirby art fourteen years later means I was probably right. How he translates to coinage is irrelevant. He has become the coin of our particular realm.