Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"The Hapless Seed"

I have a very weird but regimented reading habits based on geography.

WARNING: Some of this will be more information that you will want to know.
I only read books on airplanes--but for those of you know how much time I spend weekly on airliners know that I manage to read a lot of books.
I read comic book fanzines, toy business magazines, and Vanity Fair in the bathroom. (Told'ja it might be more than you want to know!)
I read The Nation in restaurants during the work week if I happen to be lunching alone.
And I read newspapers and newsmagazines at the breakfast table.

This morning , at breakfast, while catching up on some reading I found an intriguing article in the June issue of "The Atlantic" called The Hapless Seed. (A title like that will always catch the Beanworld guy's attention.) I can't say that I'm informed enough to know that all of the author's assumptions are right on the money--but I do know first hand what an uphill slog it is for small publishers of ANY stripe to compete in the marketplace.

I laughed out loud at the line ..."the digital age is heaven for consumers, hell for creators." Because I, like everyone else, spend far more of my life consuming than creating--therefore, I think this is overall a pretty good thing.

And, as I've often ruminated in lengthy discussions with Charles Brownstein about Beanworld's future is that I do harbor a desire to not have my small body of work be "forgotten" or "lost."

The ideas in this article seem to offer the fuzzy shape of hope for us wee folks. That our work (not our personal fame) has a shot at being discovered by some new kid out there...some where...some time.

4 comments:

jasonturner said...

Just earlier this year I was rereading Beanworld, and lamenting its disappearance, so I was most pleased to see your blog turn up! (link through the Mccloud Tour) And with vague references to more Beanworld appearing... in the future... great news!

- Jason Turner

Larry Marder said...

I like to tease the McCloud family about all sorts of stuff--it's in my nature and I've known for so long that in amongst all their Fairy Godmothers, Fairy Godfathers, acolytes and disciples....I think I am like the McCloud Family's kooky cousin--Ivy's anyway. There is no one in comicdom with whom I can agonize over the extravagance of a deluxe desert more exquisitely.
Scott and I are both Eclipe Comics alumns and no one over the years has been a bigger boooster Beanworld (whenever it would appear...that is).
I figure I better get new Beanworld work "out there" before
Sky and Winter are adults.Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

New Beanworld works? Don't toy with us, Mr. Marder.

I'm a random fan who discovered Beanworld only a few years ago, and devoured it all in one gulp. More books would be like joy you can read.

JJA said...

I have an icon of Mr. Spook which I use for instant messaging. When I was first chatting with my soon-to-be girlfriend, she saw the icon and recognized it, and my response was "I don't have to explain Beanworld to you! Yay!"

(The main problem with explaining Beanworld to someone is where to stop. I try to summarize it in a sentence or two, then I start to explain the ecology and interconnections... It's best to just loan them a copy, at which point they generally think "A comic about beans? Why would I want to read that?" and then they try it and get hooked.)

Not solely a point of connection for kindred spirits, Beanworld is a joy and an inspiration, and it got me started on making my own comic, A Stray to Botaram.

Beanworld may have a small fanbase, but we are quite passionate, and if there's anything we can do to help Beanworld to return, just say the word.