Friday, August 17, 2007

Minotaur Song!

The Incredible String Band were an acquired taste even in their heyday of the late '60s and early '70s but if you could GET them--chances were you LOVED them.
I really liked their flippy, trippy form of folk music vaguely based in the Scots tradition.
Robin Williamson's The Minotaur's Song was on Incredible String Band's 1968 album The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter.
Even at age 18, I was enthralled with the weird amalgamation of mythology, folk music, and show tune-iness of this song. The words to the song (well most of them anyway) have stuck with me for almost 40 years now.
When I was poking around on YouTube and found this ridiculously silly but altogether appropriate animation by dalekemperorjohn illustrating the song--I knew I had to share it with you

2 comments:

listeningmoth said...

Yay! I love Incredible String Band, and The Minotaur's Song is one of the most memorable and endearing(?)...Thanks for that. I saw Robin Williamson in concert a few years ago; his voice is still magical.

BTW, you started this blog on the day my son finished reading Beanworld #21. He and I are so excited about the prospect of new material.

jasonturner said...

Hey I know that song! My brother put it on a mixed tape for me. It pretty much blew my mind when I realized what it was about.